Our office follows infection control recommendations made by the Royal Collage of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO) and Public Health. You will notice the following changes in our office to help protect our patients and staff. For example:
- Our office will communicate with you before your appointment to ask some screening questions which will also be reviewed upon arrival at the office.
- We will be taking your temperature with a touchless infrared thermometer to ensure no fever.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided when you enter the office, in the reception area and other places throughout the office as required.
- The waiting room will no longer offer magazines since these items are difficult to clean and disinfect. All waiting room chairs are two metres apart.
- Appointments will be managed to allow for social distancing between patients, which may result in fewer options for scheduling your appointment in addition to waiting outside the office until your appointment time
- We will do our best to allow more time between patients to reduce waiting times for you, as well as to reduce the number of patients in the reception area at any one time.
In addition to the above requirements of RCDSO and Public Health, OMG Perio and Dr. Glogauer have implemented the following safety features:
- Mechanical engineer inspection report confirming high volume air changes per hour above 12 in each operatory (average is between two to four in normal buildings).
- Austin Air HEPA filter units installed into each operatory and waiting room to rapidly purify the air every five minutes.
- High volume air suction will be running during procedures in the mouth.
- Intra and extra oral suction to minimize the release of any microorganism from the mouth
- Anti-viral pre rinse before any procedure to minimize the release of any microorganism from the mouth.
- Plexiglass shields will surround the reception area.
- Doors on all treatment rooms to ensure all spaces will be closed to minimize aerosol spread.
- Staff will be wearing a higher level of personal protective equipment including specialized masks and face shields.
Our Investment in Your Oral Health
In addition to providing general preventive care and comprehensive restorative treatments, we invest in your health by providing:
Austin Air HEPA Filtration System
Austin Air is a medical-grade air cleaning system that eliminates 99.97% of all particles as small as 0.3 microns and 95% of particles 0.1 microns and larger, including pet dander, pollen, mold spores, dust mites, bacteria, and viruses.
Oral Cancer Screenings
At each visit, we monitor for numbness and tingling, open sores that don’t go away within a week to ten days, unexplained bleeding, and lumps or thickening on the bottom or sides of your tongue, cheeks, or roof of your mouth.
Guidance on Lifestyle for Oral Health
- Scheduling regular visits to our dental office
- Brushing at least twice a day and flossing at least once a day
- Eating a well-balanced diet
- Avoiding smoking, oral piercings, and recreational drugs
- Reducing stress which affects your oral and overall health
- Wearing a mouthguard to protect your teeth when you are playing sports
- If you want to maintain strong teeth for your lifetime, you need to ensure you are eating enough whole grain breads and cereals, fruits and vegetables, and lean meats.
- Try to avoid acidic food and drink between meals; there isn’t as much saliva in your mouth at these times to protect your teeth
- Don’t clean your teeth right after eating. If you brush while the acid is still in your mouth, you are removing some of your teeth’s surface. If you wait about an hour, the saliva will help your teeth battle the acid so it is safe to brush
- Try to finish your breakfast, lunch or dinner with a little cheese or milk as these products help cut down on the acid in your mouth.
For more information about these topics, please visit the Ontario Dental Association website at https://www.oda.ca.